The entitlements include:
- Returns airfares to New Zealand.
- A stipend of:
- Fellows on paid leave with full salary will receive a living allowance of NZ$1,500 per month on top of their salaries.
- Those on paid leave with partial salary will receive an allowance of NZ$2,500 per month on top of their salaries.
- Those unable to obtain paid leave from their US employer will receive an allowance of NZ$5,000 per month.
- Fellows with dependents (regardless of how many) will receive a dependent allowance NZ$500 per month. Additionally, a maximum contribution of NZ$3,000 will be contributed towards dependents flights.
Please note: Financial entitlements are based on information provided with your application and are determined at the time your application is received. Changes to these entitlements are not possible unless a change in circumstances is likely to result in a lower entitlement.
We will require a letter from your employer confirming their support for your participation in the fellowships programme, and also confirming whether you will receive full, partial or no paid leave.
Regarding leave status, please note that the Fellowships are fully funded by the New Zealand Government. Federal agency heads have broad discretionary authority regarding employee participation in training and developmental assignments. This can include time away from regular job duties with continued payment of salary as well as payment for certain travel expenses.
Alternatively, employees may request leave (paid or unpaid) in the event that participation is not possible as a training/developmental assignment. Prospective applicants should refer to their agency’s human resources policies. Since the fellowships were established in 1996, approximately one-third of Fellows have come from Federal agencies, many with salary support.